Tuesday, March 22, 2011

WOULD YOU TURN DOWN $500,000 TO EPUBLISH YOUR BOOK?

“A smile is the shortest distance between people.”
                                                                 Victor Borge



I want to welcome my new followers. I will be linking my blog with yours and hope that my articles spark something creative in your writing/publishing experience.

Last night I watched the PBS special on my favorite side-splitting pianist, Victor Borge. One of his routines that he performed dealt with punctuation. As new writers we often struggle with the correct usage of punctuation. His world famous, “Phonetic Pronunciation,” makes it all clear. If you have never heard this before please take four minutes and listen…you will laugh.






The eBook revolution is gaining momentum and many published authors are turning to this means of mass communication. New authors are also jumping on the bandwagon. Only a small percent of their books make a large splash in the reader community. Some are poorly written with little or no editing, bad plot, weak characters and redundant story and a few are brilliant.

I read an article on a published author who turned down a $500,000 advance on his most recent book. Randy Ingermanson has a discussion with James Scott Bell and discuses the pros and cons of the author’s decision. Click the link to read the full interview, http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/blog (Scroll down halfway to find this article).

A year ago I would not have thought of self publishing my own manuscript much less only doing it through the eBook medium. What are your thoughts on only self publishing as an eBook?

2 comments:

  1. I heard about this too and coming right on the heels of the Amanda Hocking phenomenon it certainly gives one food for thought. I know a handful of writers who have been beating themselves against the traditional publishing walls and have decided to try the e-publishing route instead. I also know a few who still go through traditional publishing but want to try out self-publishing through ebooks as an experiment.

    It's certainly something we can't ignore. These days, I find my interest in a literary agent rises when they show they are also thinking about and even moving to incorporate the possibilities of e-publishing. I want an agent who is on top of things and who is prepared to hurdle what's coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Clippership,

    Your comments hit the nail on the head. The ideal publishing contract would be one that leaves the rights to e-publish in the hands of the author and the paperback/hardcover to the publisher. The reluctance of the publisher to give up publishing the digital book has forced several noted authors to self publish their novels. Some of them are going only digital and making a ton of money. So are a few first time authors. I am content to sit back and let the noted authors battle it out. Sometime in the near future I see the author retaining the digital rights to their own books.

    ReplyDelete